Friday, August 14, 2009

The Other Mistress

I was listening to the radio this morning and the topic was about our "other mistresses".

What exactly is our "other mistress" you might ask?

Anything that takes an unhealthy amount of time away from your spouse. In other words, if you have something you do that doesn't necessarily "have to be done" and you repeatedly choose that over your spouse then you might be in danger of having "another mistress."

That hit me pretty hard this morning when I heard it. Immediately the one thing that convicted me was work and politics. I do get very consumed in these two things and if someone said, "Joe is going to spend some time with his "other mistress"" it wouldn't be far from the truth when I do those things.

So what are some other examples of "other mistresses"?

They could also be...
  • Friends
  • Sports
  • Hobbies
  • Gambling
  • TV Shows
  • Work
  • Politics
  • Internet
  • Alcohol
  • Drugs
  • School

and so on.

I'm not trying to be so shallow as to say you can't go to school or work more hours when you need it but when you do an unhealthy amount of it is when you need to start asking yourself if that thing might be another "mistress". When you would rather choose that over spending time with your spouse is when you should be worried.

What about you? Do any of these things describe you?

Have you ever thought you might have "another mistress"?

What are some things that consume you that I might have left off?

No comments:

Post a Comment