Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Who You Hangin' With?

One of the things that simply rocked my world when I first discovered Jesus and His time on earth was the fact that he spent more time with sinners and outcasts than religious leaders.

And for doing so he faced all kinds of ridicule and criticism from those same religious leaders.

But Jesus knew exactly who needed his presence the most.

Mark 2:17

17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Jesus puts the religious leaders in their place and opens their eyes when he says this in verse 17. He didn't come for the healthy but for the sick.

So when I read this and think about who Jesus spent most of his time with I have to ask myself,

Who Am I Hangin' With?

I'll confess to you that you won't see me hanging around a bar or some night club seeking sinners. But what if I did?

How would I be judged?

I imagine the judgment would be much like the same kind of judgment Jesus received.

People don't want to get dirty or go to the uncomfortable places to reach someone but that's exactly what my Lord did for me.

If Jesus wasn't found in those ugly places where would I be now?

1 comment:

  1. it occurred to me recently that I have been trapped in a Christian bubble. I only hang out with Christ-followers (has lots to do with working at a ministry and being involved with my church). I need to change this. Only so much "iron sharpening iron." I need to let the ol' light shine in the darkness a little more. As it is now, I'm just hanging out in really bright places with a lot of other people with flashlights. Thanks for reminding me that we are called to more.

    ReplyDelete