Monday, May 4, 2009

Reverent Submission

Hebrews 5:7

7 During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

This scripture smacked me clear in my face this morning. At first glance you might not notice too much but once I stepped back and read it about 3 more times I realized there is a lot to learn here about my own personal prayer life.

You see, too many times when praying, I've gone to God with an agenda. A wish list, or to do list if you will. And as I'm making my pleadings known and making sure to check off every little prayer request I can think of, I've forgotten just who I'm communicating with.

In the hurry of my prayer life I've treated God like he was just a genie who would grant my wishes. And then this morning I finally realized that I was doing it all wrong when compared to the way Jesus did it.

You see this scripture says that Jesus went to God with reverent submission. Jesus knew who he was talking to and knew that while God would answer his prayers and petitions He also never neglected or took for granted who God was.

I sometimes do that. I take God for granted.

I go to God with all my requests and don't even think about any type of submission, let alone a reverent one!

This scripture smacked me in the face this morning. Not because my eyes were newly opened to how Jesus did prayer but because I finally realized my lack of respect to the most high God.

Funny how God has a way of showing us things when we wonder what's wrong with our prayer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment