Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Rearview Mirror


I don't know what it is but when I'm driving and I look up and see a cop in my rear view mirror I take notice. I sit up straight, make sure I'm doing the speed limit and every 5 seconds I'm checking the mirror to see what he's doing.

You can ask my wife. I am totally paranoid when it comes to police. Don't know why but I just am. It's so crazy how I immediately transform into a different person as soon as I spot a cop driving behind me.

It's like I have to make sure I'm walking the line or something. Does that ever happen to you? Or am I just a freak like that? :)

It happened to me this morning on the way to work. A cop got behind me and stayed behind me for a good portion of my drive. The whole time I was watching my speed, sitting up straight, both hands on the wheel and checking my rear view every 5 seconds. I was thinking paranoid thoughts like, "what if my tail lights are out?" or "what if my brake lights don't come on?" Yeah paranoid thoughts indeed.

I was so relieved when I noticed he took the next exit and just as quickly as he disappeared I began to relax again. Why is that I wonder? Erica calls me weird, and I guess it really is a little, but I just can't seem to help it. It's just something I do.

The rest of the drive into work was great because this little experience got me to thinking...

Do we treat the Lord like this?

Are we relaxed in our walk when we can't see Him in our rear view mirror?

Do we take it easy and just let anything go when we think he can't see us?

Do we ignore His commands when we think the Lord isn't watching?

I'm being honest here, if I looked up and seen the Lord in my rear view mirror I would probably have to straighten up and check to make sure I was doing the right speed and obeying the appropriate laws.

Isn't that sad? To think that we feel we can just let anything go until we feel He is watching us or maybe someone else is watching us?

Shouldn't we be doing the right thing ALL the time?

Think about it. Next time you're driving look in your rear view mirror and wonder to yourself what you might do if you seen Jesus there.

Isn't he always there?


I was thinking about this and my walk with the Lord when I noticed something that stopped me dead in my tracks...


2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not - I've thought about this very thing before -- and that "disclaimer" they put on the mirror is what sparked it. It's amazing to me that the Holy Spirit can be living INSIDE us, yet we have the ability to not even have a thought about it. That is, until something like flashing lights makes us sit up and take notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Awesome point Joe!!! I do the same thing... slow down, make sure I'm all focused driving... those darn pesky Cops (That's for Mickey!) - hehe!!!

    But that sign on the mirror... WOW - that knocked the air out of me... every time I see that on a mirror now, I'll think of this!

    ReplyDelete