Friday, February 6, 2009

The Screwtape Letters

I've recently started rereading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and it is so interesting to wonder if what is written in this book is what really happens. Screwtape the demon uncle of Wormwood who is also a demon writes to encourage and give advice on how to cause his "patients" to stumble in their walk with the Lord.

Of all the clever little ploys and advice Screwtape gives to Wormwood one of the things that he said that sticks out to me the most is this...

"It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out."

Wow!

I know for me I always get frustrated when thoughts or feelings enter my mind that aren't pleasing to the Lord but I never once considered the fact that maybe the enemy was also trying to keep things out of my mind as well.

It's easy for us to all think of the many times we've had nasty thoughts about things but how could you ever gauge how many thoughts didn't enter your mind that could have been beneficial in growing the Lord's kingdom?

I know this story is only a work of fiction even though it was written by one of the best Christian fictional authors but you just can't seem to help wondering if maybe this is what really happens in the spiritual battles we face everyday.

I'm sure there will be more interesting tidbits as I read through this book, I will post them as I find them.

What thoughts or feelings do you think have been prevented from being thought?

3 comments:

  1. I think the biggest thought(s) that Satan tries to keep out of our minds is anything that has to do with the love Christ has for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book & Mere Christianity... need to pick them up & read them next...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Chandra... most often our thoughts are "I don't see how Christ can love me?" instead of "See how much Christ loves me!"... if he can keep us from remembering that love, he has won 1/2 the battle!

    ReplyDelete