Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Too Many Pokers in the Fire?


One thing my grandparents always use to tell me when I was growing up was, "Don't place too many pokers in the fire!"

I never really understood that statement until here recently. I always fooled myself into thinking that as long as I was able to "get it done" then I would be able to keep as many things going as I wanted to. As long as it got finished and I was able to keep juggling everything I thought it was okay. But I didn't realize that I was placing quantity over quality, and as any business CEO will tell you that is a recipe for disaster!

I've come to realize that in my Christian walk I have ignored the advice my grandparents gave me. Somehow in my effort to please God, (or could some things be my effort to please others?) I have taken on too many things and therefore many other things are suffering. Again, quantity over quality.

Mark 12:33 is clear in what I'm coming to realize...

To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

I've made a lot of "sacrifices" you might say. And in so doing my love for Christ has not been to the fullest potential. My quantity to do things for Christ has overpowered my quality in which I love him!

So here's what I'm going to do... First off I need to look at all the pokers I have in the fire. I need to see which one's are truly because God has called me to be doing them and which ones are happening because others have asked me or because I've wanted to be a "people pleaser". Then once the vine is "pruned" I will be able to focus more attention on the things that I know I have been truly called to do and in turn it will bear much fruit. Quality fruit!

1 Corinthians 3:13 says it best and goes along with this analogy perfect!

his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work.

I want the quality to be better than the quantity!

What area's in your life do you need to examine?

Are you putting quantity before quality?

No comments:

Post a Comment