Monday, June 30, 2008

The Transfiguration

Okay so I was reading "The Bait of Satan" last night and John Bevere gave an example in which he talked about Peter and the two brothers, James and John, going up a mountain with Jesus and witnessing a very miraculous experience. That experience is known as what we call The Transfiguration and can be found in Matthew 17:1-9.

When I read it in John Bevere's book I had to open my Bible and read it for myself. What I read was something that I never really looked at or considered before. I know I've read this in the past but for some reason it just didn't resonate with me like it did last night. Here are a few observations I took away from this "event".

  1. First of all it would have been great to just spend about 3 years of your life with Jesus!

  2. To go with Him along with two other disciples on top of a mountain to be alone with Jesus where you had no idea what was going to happen next would have been an adventure in itself.

  3. Getting on top of the mountain and seeing Jesus' appearance changed right before your face would have been crazy! His face shone bright like the sun and his clothes became as white as light. How would seeing something like that make you feel?

  4. Not only were they alone with Jesus and seeing all this happen in front of them but just when they were thinking it couldn't get any better low and behold Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus! That's where I would have lost it all!

  5. Okay, so you think it couldn't get any better than that and then it does... verse 5 ... a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him."

Wow! In addition to all the things they just witnessed they also heard the voice of God!!

How crazy is that?

I couldn't help but think what I would have felt in that moment if that would have been me. First off I don't think I am in no way worthy enough to have been able to experience something like that but if I did my life would have definitely been forever changed. To be with Jesus alone would have been enough for me but to witness the things that took place on that mountain would have put me on a high that I would have never been able to come off of. They actually seen Moses and Elijah and heard the voice of God!!

What do you think of when you read this passage?

1 comment:

  1. SENSORY OVERLOAD!!! I cant even imagine that experience!!

    I'm excited your getting to this book! Two John Bevere Studies at once - you're going to get your own sensory overload!!!

    ReplyDelete