Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Missing Piece


I've really noticed lately that Christians seem to be missing something. Something that, when it is used to it's fullest potential, acts like a magnet and draws people in. This missing piece seems to get lost over time. Through many hardships, trials, tests, and disappointments the missing piece eventually detaches itself from the whole and gets lost, sometimes forever.

The missing piece I'm talking about is our JOY.

You see, I can see it most everywhere I go. People I know who claim Christ as Lord of their lives live as though they've never had that life changing moment happen to them. They are hateful, hurtful and cynical. They sometimes go out of their way to show their disappointment in something and making sure you truly understand their position on a subject.

Perhaps the place I see it the most is in my own bathroom mirror. I am not innocent of this charge, but I do understand that the first step in fixing the problem is recognizing that there is one to begin with. That's why I have hope in getting my missing piece back but it's almost like it's now my mission to shed light on this growing problem in the Christian community.

Shouldn't we be the happiest people on earth? Shouldn't we be filled with more joy than most other people? And yet we're not. We have a one-on-one relationship with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and yet our attitudes and outlooks say something else.

Could that be why so many people who don't know our Lord don't have the motivation to get to know Him?

Could that be what Satan knew would send the loudest message? That if these Christians would just live with sour and disappointing attitudes it would act as a type of repellent and keep people from wanting anything to do with that?

I hope you stop to think about this observation. Do you also see that over the course of time and through the storms of this life your joy has slipped away entirely?

Will you fight to get it back?

Will you turn your "magnet" back on once again?

Psalm 51:12

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit...


To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. You just sucked the joy from me with this post... haha!! Joking!!!

    Good stuff there buddy... truth hurts sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great food for thought! Great page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something our preacher touches on every once in a while and it's so true. Some of the most joyless people I've known are christians.

    ReplyDelete